Who are these lovely, photogenic, hard-working people? Why, some of my cheery coworkers of course. Since I haven't officially 'outed' my blog at work (nor do I plan to...) that being said I was googling for a 'nursey' type of picture while looking for a modern representation of nurses when I realized I might as well show you there real thing...and here it is. Sorry, dear readers--there are no pictures of me on the homepage; HOWEVER...there were a few pictures taken at work recently that do include me which I may have access to soon.
Words can't really quite explain what it is like to work at the bedside. A day in the life of a bedside nurse can--and often does--contain scenarios like these:
- Rounding on your first patient to find her naked, dancing in her room and proclaiming she's at a club in Vegas
- Participating in an emotional family-conference with the attending doctor, social worker, resident--where a 33 year old father has just learned that he has aggressive, minimally-treatable terminal cancer.
- Helping a co-worker caring for a patient who suddenly begins to have respiratory distress.
- Using wound-care skills to carefully clean and re-dress several compliacted wounds.
- Administering a toxic chemotherapy agent that may help prolong a patient's life with the utmost care and safety precautions. Being prepared to intervene immediately to manage adverse reactions.
- Reporting and acting on a patient's critical lab results.
- Collaborating with the physical therapist to help get a patient scared of moving out of bed for the first time since surgery.
- Listening to and beginning to act on concerns a patient's caregiver has about being able to care for the patient at home.
So, is it just another Hallmark holiday? Perhaps. But I'd like to give a shout-out to all my nurse-y friends (especially Jen who is a very faithful reader) and say thanks for all that you do! I'm glad we're in this together.